- can I go to [insert friend's name]'s house?
- can [insert friend's name] come over to OUR house?
- can I have a popcicle for breakfast?
- do I HAVE to do my chores today?
- can I watch Star Wars again?
- are you ever going to stop working today?
- can we go swimming right now?
I say "no, no, no, yes, later, sure, at some point and not right now" and ask what everybody else is doing. This is where it gets good. Pay attention to the end, its a grand slam, in my book.
"Tiffany is watching Maury, Casey is making toast, Mackenzie is sleeping on the couch and Mike just put a corn dog on her face."
Non chalant...calmly. Damn, I love motherhood.